Monday, March 20, 2017

Ambiguous Endings


            I mentioned on Face Book some time back that MUIRSHEEN DURKIN has two distinct conclusions. The situation is not that of giving the reader a choice of either one ending or the other. Both “occur.”  How I do this, you’ll have to read the book to find out. But I give the reader a choice as to which ending presents the more realistic view of human existence. I’ve long been intrigued by writings that leave something open ended as far as a thematic conclusion. I don’t care for underlying one-sided messages.  Like Keats, I don’t like a writer who has a design on me, (Not exact quote); that is, seeks to convert me to a certain cause or to make me accept a certain message.)  For me the best writings are open-ended enough to allow the readers to make up their own conclusions in so far as judging the situation. I certainly don’t have all the answers to life’s problems. For me the best writing points to the uncertainly of our knowledge

No comments:

Post a Comment